CLEAN HOSPITALS seeks to harness the collective strengths of industry, academia, hospitals, governmental bodies and key stakeholders in order to collaborate across disciplines and interest groups.
We aim to use the knowledge and momentum generated by our research and working groups to raise industry standards and increase the visibility of the hospital environment in patient care.
The purpose of the initiative is to increase patient safety and bring international attention to the need for an increased focus on hospital environmental hygiene.
Although the hospital environment tends to be one of the most understudied and underfunded areas in healthcare, there is enough literature in the field to prove that a well-maintained patient environment is crucial for preventing the spread of healthcare-associated infections and antimicrobial resistance. Beyond patients, hospital environment hygiene also has a direct impact on the lives of the people working in the hospitals, as well as a broader impact on communities and the environment.
These improvements in hospital environmental hygiene will benefit public health by lowering rates of healthcare-associated infections, reducing antimicrobial resistance, and protecting hospital staff as well as the larger environment.
CLEAN HOSPITALS aims to support these objectives by:
- Increasing hospitals’ awareness of the importance of maintaining a hygienic environment
- Changing how hospitals calculate the cost/benefit of investing in better cleaning products and services
- Developing comprehensive trainings and education programs
- Championing high-quality products/processes for environmental hygiene, instrument disinfection/sterilization, waste management, air, and water treatment
- Building up the body of evidence demonstrating the impact of improved environmental hygiene in healthcare settings and patient/worker safety
- Aligning knowledge and procedures and improving hospital environmental hygiene recommendations across geographic regions and resource levels
- Enhancing corporate social responsibility in the companies that produce or provide products and services for hospital environmental hygiene